Monday, March 7, 2011

9/11 Poems response

Alabanza: While the entire poem has a lot of really great imagery, the end of it is the part that captures me the most. The second to last stanza has very interesting imagery, comparing the attacks to a storm, which I like. But it's the last four lines that I like the best. I like the idea of the spirits of the people talking to one another, seeking something from one another after they have moved on. And I especially like the idea of the Spanish-speaking spirits saying that all they have is music. It's a sad idea, because it's very truthful, but at the same time it is sort of beautiful. The idea that music is all they have, but in some ways it is enough (after all, the other spirits seek it and the Spanish-speaking spirits only offer to teach it, and don't ask for anything else).

Dropping Leaflets: This poem didn't feel as nice to my as the other ones did. I usually like disjointed poems, but in this case I felt it was a little overly separate and hard to get a hold of. At the same time, I like the idea of what she did, and how she made the poem, and the message of the poem is an interesting one. I think the short lines and disjointed feeling reflects how most of us felt after 9/11, too, which is something else about it I like.

Try to Praise the Mutilated World: I think this is the most technically beautiful of the three poems. It has a lot of imagery and a really nice meter without feeling forced. It is more subdued and perhaps traditional than the others, but not in a way that it feel old-fashioned or obsolete. I like this one the best, because of the imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment