Friday, March 11, 2011

The smell of cows is green


  1. Poem that elaborates an image from rural life

There’s nothing quite like the way
a new calf will suck on your fingers
if you offer them.
They, like our own children, are hungry
for milk or knowledge.
That is a feeling I wish I could replicate.

The smell of horses is yellow
and the smell of pigs is brown,
but the smell of cows is green -
a glorious green smell that makes me homesick.
A smell that makes me remember quieter days,
happier days when everything made sense.

When I drive past a diary farm
I roll my windows down
in the hopes of catching a thread
of green scent.
And a longing, sad feeling
stirs in my chest.

1 comment:

  1. It took me a while to realize that you wrote this poem...apparently from the A Capella project. I like it...it is definitely something that only people who have grown up in rural areas seem to be inclined towards. Did you grow up on a farm?
    I really like the color theme that you pull through the poem...that is part of the reason that I thought that this was a published work...that seems like a sort of older style...It also seems to fit the style of A Capella very well.

    ReplyDelete